Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Pretending to be deep.

This is a reaction paper I did for a philosophy class. Sometimes, I'm too sassy for my own good. Let me know what you think:

Benjamin Haight

Epicurean

Philosophy T/Th; 2:50

December 7, 2010

Reaction: Existentialism is a Humanism

“Existentialism is a Humanism” was written by Jean-Paul Sartre to offer a defense of existentialism against several reproaches that have been laid against it in the early twentieth century.

Sartre labels himself as an Atheistic Existentialist who believes if God does not exist, there is at least one being whose existence comes before its essence, a being which exists before it can be defined by any conception of it. That being is man and mankind (Sartre). His simple viewpoint is this; existence precedes essence.

A key example in Sartre’s definition is that man first of all exists; he encounters himself, surges up in the world and defines himself afterwards. Thus, man is responsible for what he becomes and there is no predestined plan to which man should follow – something many believers of God think throughout their lives. The key for existentialists is the ability of people to make the proper choices in their lives. There is no single human nature which limits us in what we can do; according to Sartre, we are all radically free and capable of doing whatever we want. It is the affirmation of humanity’s freedom which is the only appropriate humanism we should follow.

I fully agree with Jean-Paul Sartre – man simply is what he wills. Some view my long-standing stance on God’s non-existence as sad and pessimistic. I feel I just see the world as a realist.

We have fully entered into the holiday season and recently an American Atheist group has posted a billboard outside the Lincoln Tunnel in New Jersey depicting the biblical reference of the three kings following the North Star to bring gifts to a baby Jesus. In large white lettering, the billboard states, “You know it’s a myth.” Being raised a Catholic, I know all about the reasons behind Christmas – and presently, I couldn’t be more amused by this advertisement.

I accept that the bible is a collection of fables created to aid folks in honesty, morality and a sense of faith, but I ridicule those who believe those stories as fact.

As an American, I’m aware of that internal mantra of “achieving the American dream,” and see the connection with Sartre’s view that no one is made better by anything other than their own actions. Where would we be today if everyone simply offered their outcome to chance – I’m sorry, “faith?”

Man, before all else, propels himself toward a future and is aware he is doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment